QIF import not working?

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 25 12:58:34 EST 2012

On 1/25/2012 8:23 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Liz <edodd at billiau.net> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:45:43 +0200
>> Richard <judgesinel at netscape.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Wow, is that it?
>>>
>>> Perhaps the QIF is broken or has no transactional data in it?
>>>
>>> Gee Derek, I hope your not the expert on Gnucash.
>>
>> Maybe not the expert, but he certainly has written a lot of it.
>
> Moreover, Richard, it's not like you gave any information that would
> help!  It's not like I can gaze into my crystal ball and see your QIF
> file, or error messages, or gnucash.trace file, or anything else that
> would help debug the problem.
>
> SO... Using my experience I pointed you to what the problem is the vast
> majority of the time:  a QIF file that doesn't contain the data that you
> think it does.
>
> I'm sorry if you considered my answer terse.

> -derek

Richard,

Derek is one one the GnuCash developers, and as Liz pointed out, he
really knows his stuff about GnuCash.  As another user who sometimes
does QIF imports, I know that it works fine in a good installation when
presented with good data.

What you must do to get a good diagnostic answer is to provide
additional information about your problem.  For starters, it would be a
help to describe what version of GnuCash you have installed, and what
operating system you are using.

Then, as Derek asked, give more details such as whether you are creating
a new file, does the file have an existing set of accounts and existing
transactions, or have you not gotten that far.

Then give more details like a portion of the QIF file with personally
identifying names obfuscated, but details like the very first few lines
with keywords such as account type, etc. included unchanged, as that is
critical to a successful import.  Even the date lines can be malformed.

I, for one, am very familiar with Quicken for windows, but I have not
heard of XG 2004.  That may not produce the same QIF output as windows
versions.  This is what Derek needs to know.

Good Luck.

David C