Investments without Tickers

DavidDollar markxx.mail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 17:15:01 EST 2012

I have been using GnuCash for almost a month now, having come over from
Quicken.  How do I set up an investment that has no ticker symbol?  It's a
retirement account with my employer's 401K system. It has number of shares
and price per share, but no ticker symbol.  I set it up under FUND instead
of NYSE.  When I update the price quotes under Price Editor, not only
doesn't GnuCash update the price, it also seemingly omits the entire account
in the Net Assets total, although I have an initial value for the account
under Opening Balances.