RES: How to use mysql.

GOODSYSTEMS goodsystems at gs11011.com
Mon Jan 30 19:07:50 EST 2012

Just for reference, and to resolve the issue for the curious.

"127.0.0.1" IS "localhost". "localhost" is just an alias for it. "127.0.0.1" is
also known as a 'loopback address'. The loopback concept means that something
can be seen as a not-immediately-local object over a network, where the network
facilities are part of the access chain. As used here, it's a way to standardize
a reference, instead of worrying over having to code up things to deal with
truly 'local' objects *and* not-local ones.

Why it would be necessary to use the formal notation instead of the alias will
remain a mystery.

jhc