Considering GNUCash

Bob Plantz rgplantz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 11:56:04 EST 2012

I migrated from Quicken to GNUCash several years ago. I do not use any
online features, preferring to enter all my values by hand. I don't do
anything especially complex: checking accounts; credit cards; mutual funds;
etc.

The migration was a little tedious, but it uncovered some accounting errors
I had made in Quicken. Since GNUCash uses a double entry system, and Quicken
does not (at least, not at that time), I was forced to correct my errors. I
had to learn some new things in order to use GNUCash, but I felt it was
worth it due to the increased accounting accuracy.

I am able to export a txf file from the Tax Schedule Report each year. I
have used that with both TurboTax and H&R Block At Home. Of course I still
have to go through the tax preparation program and correct some entries, but
I had to do that with Quicken.

Overall, I consider GNUCash to be a much better program than what Quicken
was several years ago. Quicken has probably improved since then. I do not
have experience with MS Money.