Considering GNUCash

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Tue Jan 31 13:35:14 EST 2012

The Microsoft Money Plus Sunset version should still work just fine (of
course, online services have been discontinued.)  That said, I converted
from MS Money and began record keeping in GnuCash 01 Jan 2010.  I ran
parallel for 6 months as a safety net.  I converted historical data only for
investment and loan accounts.  Conversion highlighted some problems in Money
data, such that I believe I had to "purify" Money entries a bit.  In other
words, I performed several rounds of conversion before I was satisfied with
the result.  While GnuCash is not free of flaws, it beats Money and Quicken
hands-down, IMO.  So I agree with the recommendation to bite the bullet and
switch to GnuCash. You can't make such a change without paying the price of
climbing a learning curve, but the alternative is to continue using a
product that's dead and gone -- or, worse, converting to any product from
Intuit.