Change the directory where log files are stored?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jul 3 03:38:29 EDT 2012

On Tue 3 July 12 07:44:05 Colin Law wrote:
> On 3 July 2012 03:30, Jeff <jeff at forerunnertv.com> wrote:
> > On 7/2/12 10:21 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Sorry, there is no way to do that.  The logs and backup files are always
> >> stored in the same location as the main data file.
> >>
> >> Keep in mind that GnuCash will always re-open the last file you opened.
> >> So unless you really have multiple files you can just restart gnucash and
> >> it will re-open the correct data file.  If you DO have multiple files,
> >> keep in mind that the backup and log files will always append the
> >> date/time to the filename.

> >> -derek
> >
> > Ok thanks Derek.
> >
> > I have setup a few gnucash files so the folder is full of log files and
> > LNK
> > and LCK files, so I have to scroll thru all of them to find the proper
> > file.
> The ones you have used recently should appear in the recent files list
> in Gnucash under the File menu.
>
> Also as Luke has suggested you could create a set of shortcuts on the
> desktop, one for each file.  Then each set of accounts can be
> instantly opened.
>
> It might be a good idea to put each accounts file in a separate folder
> in order to separate them.
>
> Colin

Just to add my 0.02 to this - in addition to the very good suggestions also
given, I'll also note that my folder listing preferences are set in such a way
that the main data file is the top-most entry, with the log and backup files
coming directly below it. YMMV, of course.

As regards the LNK and LCK files, they are usually only around while GC is
running, or get left behind in the case of a crash.  If GC isn't running, then
they are safe to delete manually.

HTH
Maf.