Reconcile Credit Card Account-Transaction After Statement Closing

INFO info8824 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:51:51 EDT 2012

Greetings:

I am trying to reconcile a credit card account - my first attempt at
using Gnucash reconciliation. I encountered the following problem.

Everything went fine. I checked all the transactions on the statement,
the reconciled balance was exactly the same as the statement. However,
when I tried to click the check mark to complete the reconciliation, it
was greyed out. I had one transaction that was a charge made after the
closing date of the statement. I could not complete the reconciliation
unless I also checked that transaction, which was not part of this
reconciliation.

After I checked the transaction that occurred after the closing date of
the statement, then I could complete the reconciliation. However, now
the account shows the interest charge in a negative red, then shows it
correctly thereafter, and now shows a zero balance for the account.

I can avoid the interest problem by checking no auto interest and
entering it manually, but that still doesn't allow me to complete the
reconciliation without checking the transaction that occurred after the
statement closing date.

Clearly, I am missing something here, something simple no doubt. I
followed the instructions in the guide, but with no success. Any directions?

I have been trying to use Gnucash for a long time. Now that I can use
the SQLite3 backend, most of my previous limitations are gone. I can use
queries to get any information I need on a copy of the file. Gnucash now
seems like a powerful business tool that is easily queried for any
desired data, and easily connected to office suites for any desired data
manipulation.

Joel Bailey