Accounts payable

Dean Gibson gnucash at ultimeth.com
Sat Jul 7 13:32:06 EDT 2012

I'm replying to this "closed" issue (to me) because I've seen other
threads that have similar misunderstandings that I had.

Basically, the problem is that in QuickBooks, when you reconcile a
credit card account, in the post-reconciliation process you have the
option of creating a bill (in the A/P register) at the end of the
reconciliation.  Just like in GnuCash, you don't then edit bills; you
just pay them.

What's different in GnuCash is that the post-reconciliation process does
NOT create a bill;  it just creates another transaction. Similarly, when
importing (eg, online bank transaction) a payment in GnuCash, there does
not appear to be a way to attach the imported transaction to a bill payment.

All this is very well if one understands this, and creates a regular
"Liability" account named "Accounts Payable" (or whatever), as I did.
However, given the popularity of QuickBooks (and the subsequent desired
to be free of it), it might be nice to have a Wiki page or other
documentation that explains this (and any other) accounting procedure
difference between QuickBooks and GnuCash, written by someone more
knowledgeable than I.  It also might be helpful to modify the GnuCash
post-reconciliation window to prevent posting to an A/P account (either
that, or create a proper A/P bill).

-- Dean

Message history [edited]: