Best Practice for transfers between own accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 13:04:00 EDT 2012

I echo David C.'s comments: I have taken to examining each transaction that is being imported to ensure that it is coming in correctly.

In addition to catching errors in import, I have been given to understand that I am helping the matching algorithm adjust itself to make better choices for me going forward. This can in fact make the matches work better in subsequent iterations.

As for your idea of a transfer account, there have been others who have adopted this in the past. As for me, I can't imagine needing that level of correctness in my books, and the comment that this solution creates duplicate transactions bears noting. If you really need it, then by all means, you can implement it.

[This reminds me of the time I was working construction on a new house, and the owner was upset that the concrete basement floor had a crack in it, and to get rid of that crack, she insisted that we dig out the section of concrete and re-pour that section. The site manager noted to us laborers that the owner had succeeded in swapping one crack for two.]

David