Simple monthly customized report monitoring expenses through different expense accounts

Frederic Monestel fred.itfm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 14:11:05 EDT 2012

Dear all,

I am looking for a tutorial that would walk me through how to create a
monthly report with GNU cash.

I am using GNU cash and like it very much to check my expenses, but I have
a little problem:
Basically, I work on several projects on which I have similar expenses
let's say : travel, accommodations, food, hardware parts that I have to buy
for my customers, and more...
Currently I have one expense account for each of the previous category of
expense.

I would like to monitor my spending for each project through all these
different accounts:

If it is easier to understand with an example, I would like a report that
would give me something like that:

June 2012
Project A
Hotel 1 $100
Hotel 3 $100
=$200

Project B
Hotel 2 $100
computer 1 $1000
=$1100

Total expense June 2012= $1300

How do I do this?
Many thanks for your help and keep up the good work!

Fred