Gnucash 2.4.9 wrong date format for locale? (OS X 10.6.8)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 26 22:33:01 EDT 2012

On Jul 26, 2012, at 4:09 PM, prl wrote:

> On 27/07/12 03:10, tjoen wrote:
>> titusn schreef op do 26-07-2012 om 01:11 [-0700]:
>>> Thanks for the swift reply. The workarounds do not seem to be working for
>>> me. It just keeps defaulting to the US format regardless of what I chose in
>>> the properties dialog. Luckily one of the programmers could reproduce this
>>> behaviour and is already tracking the bug. So hopefully it will be solved
>>> in a newer version.
>> I am not familiar with OS X. Is the libc like glibc?
>> i.e. does it have the file /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU ?
> No, OS X doesn't have /usr/share/i18n/locales; its locales are in /usr/share/locale. And while that locale setting would be appropriate for me, it wouldn't be appropriate for titusn, who is in the Netherlands, not in Australia. His locale is set to NL_nl and according to its locale file, his dates should be displayed as 31-7-2012 or 31-07-2012.
>> And do you have the tool localedef ?
>> Then perhaps it is possible to adjust it.
> Locale setup in OS X is normally done using System Preferences>Language & Text>Formats. My setup shows that the locale setting for dates that don't use the month name is 31/07/2012 or 31/7/2012, depending on whether leading zeros are required in the dates. It seems to be just GnuCash that gets this wrong. Titusn's locale setup also appears to me to be correct. I have tested the Dutch/Netherlands locale on my Mac, and I can verify that GnuCash uses the date format 07/31/2012 when it's set to Locale, and not the format it should be using for that Dutch/Netherlands, 31-07-2012. However, unlike titusn, I can still get both the Gnucash Date/Time preferences UK (31/07/2012) or Europe (31.07.2012) date formats to work when the machine locale setting is Dutch/Netherlands, while he doesn't seem to be able to get either to work.
>
> Surely the use of GnuCash on OS X beyond the USA and South Africa (which also appears to use 07/31/2010) is widespread enough that this bug affects more people than just titusn and me!

South Africa? Titus said that he's using nl_NL, which isn't South Africa.

Anyway, I can confirm that whatever changed, changed between the 2.4.8 and 2.4.9, but after testing new builds I can also say that the change isn't in Gnucash. It's in a dependency package; I just need to figure out which one.
In the meantime, you can set LC_TIME to your locale (en_AU for you and nl_NL for Titus) in Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash by adding the line

export LC_TIME=en_AU

anywhere before the last line.

Regards,
John Ralls