Foreign Share transactions

Peter & Emily pandem at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 29 06:09:01 EDT 2012

Finally figured it out.  I need to use the menu ACTION-> TRANSFER function (CTL-T).
If I go to the STOCK account and select the ACTION-> TRANSFER  I'm able to define Where from, How Much and description of the TRANSFER and to Where it is going and How Much will got to the Destination Account. How much could be in dollar value or Stock number. The indication to the use of the ACTION-> TRANSFER came from Gnucash 2.2x. It actually provides a message that suggests to use a transfer.
This is really what happens when you normally enter the transaction, however it is rather strange that it works for a STOCK purchase when the currency is the same as the default LOCAL currency in both the source and destination.
So why is it different when the NON Local currency is involved? From what I can see all the required data is present in the fields. The Source currency is known and the destination currency is also known.
I know the data is there as it works with the LOCAL currency so why the difference with a foreign currency is used?