importing data

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 30 18:17:30 EDT 2012

"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Tereque--
>
> I suspect the lack of an answer is indicative.
>
> Please keep in mind that I am just another user of Gnucash (and not a particularly savvy one), but I have been using it for a while now.
>
> You surmise (correctly, I believe) that there is no way to import Gnucash data directly into Gnucash, and your spreadsheet solution is probably as good a way as any to achieve your goals.

You could try to use GnuCash2QIF to convert an existing GnuCash file
into QIF and then import it, but you would have to clear out the
transactions between each run or you'll have to match duplicates every
time from all previous imports.

> That said, I believe that you are seeking to have Gnucash provide you with more of an enterprise solution than Gnucash was designed to provide. Gnucash is primarily meant for single users; requests for it to provide more robust multi-user access (as by allowing multiple file import, or by allowing multiple simultaneous users) have met with little enthusiasm.

Yeah, GnuCash really was not designed to solve your problem.  It was
originally for personal use, and then later added SBHB support, but it
was always designed with "everyone with access to the books has full
access to all data".  It's unlikely that will change anytime soon.

Your other option is to look at additional software (like Excel, but
perhaps something better) for transaction entry which can then be
imported via e.g. QIF.