Multi currency users who "Use Trading Accounts"?

whwtan whwtan at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 22:27:16 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Just wondering who else here actively uses Multi Currency in GnuCash and
is comfortable with providing a little bit of guidance?

I went through the tutorial documents and enabled the "Use Trading
Accounts" flag but because I was overwhelmed with Gnucash asking me
every single time there was a non-primary currency transaction, I gave
up and created a whole deal of expenses with the currency as the header.

e.g.

Expenses
-> USD Expenses
-> AUD Expenses

I actually do have a lot of transactions in non-primary currencies
depending on where I am currently based. If I am in USA, it will be a
lot of USD transactions. If I am in Australia, AUD etc.

Am I setting up my accounts correctly or is there a more refined method
which does not require separating all the expense accounts into
sub-currencies themselves?

Warmest Regards,
William