End of Reporting Period

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 1 22:36:14 EDT 2012

On 6/1/2012 1:32 PM, Fred.Kharr wrote:
> Windows 7
>
> Latest Gnucash install.
>

> No issues with the operation.
>

> How do I close out calendar year 2011 data so that I only have 2012 data for
> reporting purposes?

This question comes up now and then.  It depends on what you are really
trying to accomplish.  If you simply don't want the previous accounting
period's data in your reports, just set the reports to cover the current
period.  I personally have many years' data in my primary file.

If you really don't want the data in the file at all for some reason,
that is not so easy to do.  One possible approach is to create a new
file using the same chart of accounts as last year but starting with the
new transactions.  You would need to manually enter the starting
balances for all the asset and liability accounts.

For those who want to freeze last year's data, I think that the best
approach is to save a year end copy and use the operating system to mark
the file read only.  You would probably want to 'Zip' an additional copy
and keep it in a separate physical place.

Other users will also have excellent suggestions and there is a lot of
help in the online documentation.

David C