Unposting and changing paid invoices

Axel Essbaum axel at essbaum.com
Tue Jun 5 11:43:45 EDT 2012

I am using Gnucash 2.4.8 under OSX 10.7.4.

Currently I book a certain type of work for my clients into an Income account called "Service".  I have been informed by my accountant that for tax reasons, as of 2012 I should actually be breaking my "Service" work up into two different categories, let's call them Service1 and Service2.

This means going back to old invoices (most of them already paid), unposting them, breaking up a single charge for Service into two charges for Service1 and Service2, and reposting the invoice.

Is this ok to do?  What will happen to the payment associated with an Invoice if I unpost it, change the invoice entries, and repost?  Note that (unless I make a mistake) the invoice total will remain the same.

Thanks!

- Axel

--
Axel Essbaum