David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 9 12:20:12 EDT 2012

On 6/8/2012 4:19 PM, Mark wrote:
> Looking at the Finance::Quote source and docs, it seems like the
> entire library does not support querying a price or exchange rate for
> a certain date.
>
> Is there another way to mass-load historical prices?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Mark,

I am surprised that you have not gotten a response yet.  I know that
there is no simple solution, but I think that there are some
work-arounds that usually involve downloading data to a spreadsheet then
importing from the spreadsheet.

Since that data is so easy to get, I personally think twice before
downloading, and only save numbers for dates and securities that I might
want to have in a future report.

If you have a security that will soon disappear due to merger or
whatever, that is another reason to grab it before it is gone.  I myself
would still use a spreadsheet for that scenario.  That has happened to
me several times already, and sometimes I have gone back to my old
records as far back as to 1992 or earlier to retrieve numbers.

Good luck.

David C