Equity-Opening Balance Never Changes

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Jun 10 13:56:06 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Sun, June 10, 2012 1:41 pm, janfl wrote:
> I have been using gnu cash for a couple of months. What I am noticing is
> that
> my equity balance never changes under accounts. Under equity, it says
> opening balances. I want it to show how much equity I have after
> everything
> is balanced. It just stays fixed at opening balance and yes, I know that
> is
> my opening balance. I would like the accounts page to reflect my current
> equity.  I pull the reports to get my cash flow and profit and loss. Would
> appreciate if someone could advise me.

This is a FAQ.  I should probably add it there.

You are confusing "Equity Accounts" from "Instantaneous Equity"..  The
I.E. includes Income and Expense values, which are not rolled up into your
Equity Accounts.  To compute your Instantaneous Equity you need to run a
Balance Sheet.

Your Equity accounts will always show your equity at a single point in
time.  Generally it's the Opening Balances, but you can roll up your
Income and Expense accounts into an Equity account by "closing the books".

I hope this helps.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745