Account Code

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Jun 13 10:06:11 EDT 2012

At Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:49:40 +1000 Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:46:13 +0800
> "BertTech" <berttech at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I am just starting to use GNUCash, so I am totally new to it.
> > In the past I have used for our own household and our business a
> > program I wrote myself under the Theos O/S using Theos Basic. This
> > software had a/c Receivable and a/c Payable stock control and
> > jobcards. The question I have is: In the account setup in GnuCash it
> > has an Account Code where does this link to? I tried to put some
> > accounts in with an account code and I expected that if I would put
> > the code in the "Num" column the account with that code would come up
> > in the Transfer column. Is there something more I need to do to tie
> > them together?
> >
> > Looking forward to your reply.
> >
> > Bert Vermeulen
> >

> Wow
> The Theos OS we had where I work went back to 1980 with the arrival of
> 01/01/2000
> I never thought I'd hear about Theos OS again..
>
> the Num column is not for Transfer accounts - it takes a cheque number
> or a EFT or Bpay number
> The account codes are quite optional, you just put the name of the
> account in the transfer column.
> I'm sure someone will fill us in on how to use Account Codes properly.

Account Codes are just a random code for accounting identification
purposes.  Large businesses / organizations use some sort of
identitication code system for accounts, like say all 900XXXXXX accounts are
employee expense accounts and all 777XXXXXX accounts are general
business expense accounts (like utilites or rent) and all 411XXXXXXX
accounts are vendor accounts and all 599XXXXXXXX accounts are customer
billing accounts, and so on.  If this is for personal use or if your
business is small, you can just leave the account code field empty and
just use the account names.  You *could* put in actual account numbers
in the Account Codes field, but that would be a Really Bad Idea from a
security point of view (eg someone steals your computer and now knows your
bank and credit card numbers -- opps!).

Basically the Account Codes are a 'human' level version of the UUID's
GnuCash uses internal to itself to identify accounts.