Separate salary accounts?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Jun 16 07:34:58 EDT 2012

Michael.

    There is a rather simple solution for this, you group accounts of
salary from different employers under a "salary" parent. Since possibly
you named the account (of salary from the old employer just "Salary")
here's what to do (in order).

a) Rename the first account from "Salary" to "Salary from X". You do
this by selecting the account and then using "edit account".
b) Create a new account named "Salary". It will be a "placeholder"
account serving as a parent for all salary accounts.
c) Go back into edit on the first account (now named "Salary from X")
and change its parent from "Income" to "Salary".
d) Create a new account named "Salary from Y" and set its parent to be
"Salary"

Now you will be able to see:
1) What you received from your old employer.
2) What you received (and presumably continue to receive) from your new
employer.
3) The total salary for both (that's what "Salary" will show in the
reports).

Michael D Novack

PS: Now that you know how to do this you might want to look at other
accounts you should group together under a parent account.