How to move from Quickbooks to Gnucash?

LindenSys at aol.com LindenSys at aol.com
Mon Jun 18 17:48:01 EDT 2012

Mr. Gibson,

Can you clarify what you mean by "run the script"? Everything is fine up to
 that point (WinXP) but other than just open the document which is
basically a  text file the run command is not an option.

Thank you,
Harry

In a message dated 6/18/2012 6:50:08 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
flywire0 at gmail.com writes:

Dean  Gibson wrote

>> ... so I wrote my own converter using  Linux's AWK program.
>>
>> The Linux script is here:  http://www.ultimeth.com/download/Tsv2Qif.sh
>> -- it's about 50  lines of AWK commands and about 40 lines of
>> "how-to".  The  "how-to" is displayed if you invoke the script without
>> any  parameters.

These notes need to go into the FAQ. The important parts  are:

>>    Steps to export from QuickBooks (tested w/  2003 version) into a
".QIF"
>>    file suitable for import  into GnuCash:
>>
>>    1. In QuickBooks, select  menu items "Reports", "Accountant & Taxes",
>>     and "Journal".
>>
>>    2. Modify the  date range to include the desired dates.
>>
>>     3. Using the "Modify Report" button, add "Item", "Item  Description",
>>       & "Account Type", and  then sort by "Date".
>>
>>    4. Select the  "Print" button, "Settings" tab, "Print to File" radio
>>     button, & "Tab delimited file" pull-down, and then  "Print".
>>       Provide a suitable file name  ending in ".tsv".
>>
>>    5. Exit QB and run this  script with the above filename (omitting
>>        the ".tsv" extension) as the only parameter.  The output  file
>>       will have the same name, with the  extension ".qif".
>>
>>    6. Import your new  ".qif" file into GnuCash.  The required accounts
>>     should be automatically created, but you will want to change  the
>>       account "Type" as appropriate for  each account.
>>
>>    Copyright (c) 2012 by Dean  K. Gibson
>>    Free to use, modify, or distribute;   just don't claim it's yours.

awk doesn't mean much to a windows user  but the following is the Field
Layout:

TRANSACTION =  1;
TYPE = 2;
DATE = 3;