Payables Aging and Receivables Aging reports

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jun 19 08:44:15 EDT 2012

On Tue 19 June 12 07:52:19 Graham Stoddart-Stones wrote:
> Maf:
>

> Thank you for this. You may have touched upon the root of the issue - in
> that the designers and the users have different approaches to the question.
> Although the total A/R or A/P is a crucial number for business, the
> individual accounts and dates are more important to me for Cash Flow
> calculations - when do I need to pay whom? As I explained in my earlier
> email, this is a piece of cake with the sub-account system, and is
> immediately very visual on screen. I assume that the same would be the case
> with an aging report, but it represents an extra step - one has to run the
> report each time.

Hi Graham,

I'm just a user.  The aging report does indeed give a list of totals per
payee, grouped into (IIRC) 14,30,60,90+ day subtotals.  I leave the aging
reports open in my business accounts so that they auto-run each time I start
GC.

The way I understand your approach, you have made each Vendor have their own
A/P account (under a "Parent  A/P") - meaining that you easily see a total due
per vendor in the account tree (and grand total A/P), but you don't see any
aging history as the report doesn't run.  so although you know that you owe
JoeBloggs & Sons £200, you miss the fact that £100 is now past term?

Out of interest, does the "bills due" reminder work under your setup? (it
auto-runs and tells me what is due within 7 days - although I'm sure that
there is a pref. for days to warn)

Maf.