error parsing

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Mar 2 11:50:52 EST 2012

Op vrijdag 2 maart 2012 11:37:05 schreef Derek Atkins:
> Hi,
>
> "Vaughn Family Farm, Bryant" <bcvaughn at windstream.net> writes:
> > Contents of the trace file, after the parsing error.  Thanks, Bryant
> >
> > * 06:17:03  WARN <qof.engine> [guid_init()] only got 1320 bytes.
> > The identifiers might not be very random.
> > * 06:17:15  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute
> > child process (No such file or directory)
> > * 06:17:15  CRIT <gnc.io> [dom_tree_handlers_all_gotten_p()] Not defined
> > and it should be: trn:date-posted
> > * 06:17:15  CRIT <gnc.io> [dom_tree_generic_parse()] didn't find all of
> > the expected tags in the input
> > * 06:17:15  WARN <gnc.backend> [gnc_xml_be_load_from_file()] Syntax
> > error in Xml File C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Bryant's
> > Documents\gnubackup.gnucash
>
> [ snip]
>
> >> There are a few corner cases that can lead to a parse error on
> >> Windows.
> >>
> >> To get a better idea of what is going on, can you post the contents of
> >> the gnucash trace file that is generated right after the parse error
> >> ? Follow the instructions in this link to find the trace file:
> >> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows#Error_messages.2C_Trace_file
> >>
> >> Geert
>
> I believe this is one of the corner cases, due to a bug when you assign
> an opening balance on Windows.  The bug has been fixed in trunk but was
> never back-ported to 2.4.  Alas, the only way to fix this is to either
> hand-edit your data file to fix the problem or to revert to a backup and
> re-enter the data but *not* assign an opening balance when you create
> the accounts, but rather create the opening balance by hand afterwards.
>
> I'm sure Geert will respond with the BugID for more info.

I don't know the bug id without looking it up, but I wrote a faq entry for
this error some time ago:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_When_I_try_to_open_my_datafile_on_Windows.2C_I_get_.22Parse_error.22._What_happened_.3F

It briefly explains what went wrong and how to fix it. As Derek mentions it
will require manual editing of the data file.

Geert