Exchange rates and Accounts Receivable

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Mar 5 10:28:53 EST 2012

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 03:16:58PM +0000, Long, Martin wrote:
> On 1 March 2012 14:01, Long, Martin <martin at longhome.co.uk> wrote:

> > When I come to enter an invoice, I want to record it in Advertising Income
> > / Accounts Receivable USD  based on today's exchange rate. Then I will
> > later do a transaction between A/R and my Current Account at the transfer
> > rate.
>
> It seems from the lack of response that this is not possible. Can I suggest
> this as a feature? It would be really useful to be able to enter foreign
> denominated transactions against A/R, in terms of the foreign currency, and
> have the local currency value calculated for you in the temp account.

If I understand you correctly, the problem is a conceptual one.  You
want to enter in AI/AR USD "based on today's exchage rate", but that's
not the way GnuCash treats that money.  You're not actually doing the
exchange when you create the invoice, because it's not in cash yet.
It's just A/R, and it's denominated in USD.  Therefore, there's no
exchange to be done at that point.

When you move the money from one (cash/bank) account to another,
_then_ you can edit the exchange rate.  At least, that's how I do it.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com