Simple GnuCash web interface

James Nylen jnylen+gnucash at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:30:54 EST 2012

Hi all,

I migrated my financial data to GnuCash several months ago.  One of the
things I wanted for my financial management software of choice is a web
interface.  So, I have been working on creating a simple mobile-friendly
web frontend for GnuCash, and I think it is ready to share now.

The application is written in Python using the Django framework.  It also
accesses the GnuCash Python API for some features, but this is probably not
required.  The application currently has the following features, with more
planned (graphs, budgeting, etc.):

 - View transactions in a GnuCash account, along with their "opposing
account"
 - Filter by opposing account, transaction description, or transaction post
date
 - Change the opposing account of any transaction and create rules for
categorizing future transactions
 - Import QIF files and automatically categorize transactions according to
the saved rules

You'll have to be using one of the GnuCash database backends so that the
Django code can access your stored data.  The project is in a very early
stage, so if you want to use it, you should probably be familiar with the
command line and with setting up an SQL database.  I would be very
surprised if it worked on Windows, but if you're familiar with Python and
Django, feel free to try it and share your experiences.

Find the code and installation instructions here:
https://github.com/nylen/gnucash-django

Let me know if you can get any use out of this!

James