Implementing COGS in GnuCash for a small business

WayneM GNUCASH at WayneMunn.com
Thu Mar 8 10:57:28 EST 2012

Rob,

As an accounting newbie I thank you very much for the clear introductory
info and the helpful step by step. I'm filing your info for when I later
decide to migrate to GnuCash. It makes sense the way that you clearly laid
it out and I didn't find such a clear process in any of the documentation,
but maybe I just missed it.

I would use the consolidate step 3 because I purchase exact components to
build detailed specification machines and carry no inventory. If something
ends up not being used, it is returned. It's my own implementation of JIT
since there is little to no margin in pre-purchasing in quantity (technology
prices most consistently drop precipitously) and unpredictable cost
volatility has been rampant. Flooding in Thailand had a major impact on
price (up to 300% increases) and availability of hard drives in the US!

Thanks again to all who provided helpful insights.

Wayne