report of charitable contributions

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Mar 10 08:07:19 EST 2012

Harold wrote:

>For my taxes I need a report of my charitable contributions for the year 2011 but I need a sub-total for each entity(description) as well as a grand total. Is there a way to get this from Gnucash 2.4.8 in Linux?
>
>I am using Reports, Transaction Report and editing that but I can't find out how to get the display that I want that I stated above.
>
>Thanks,
>Harold

Gnucash (or ANY other accounting system) cannot know in advance what
level of detail you will be wanting. That is the whole point of
designing a "chart of accounts" to suit your specific needs.

I itemize and use gnucash to track donations. Information not only to be
used for tax reporting but for our own use to be able to know which of
the organizations on our list have already received their donation for
the year or what is the total for that organization in case it is one
which might receive multiple donations. For that reason this portion of
the chart of accounts is expanded down to that level of detail with
organizations grouped by type (including non tax deductible donations
and the non deductible portion of donations to deductible organizations.

This isn't really a gnucash question but a "how to do with ANY method of
bookkeeping" question. There isn't any "one size fits all" answer to
designing your chart of accounts.

NOW -- if what you meant to ask is along the lines of "I didn't start
out that way and the year has already begun so I have donations made in
2012 all in one bucket how do I fix that?" I can help you with how,
after you have set up your "donations" tree of accounts to move the
existing transactions but it will mean editing each of the transactions
(changing the account to the proper "child" account).

Michael