Associating Saved Reports and Preferences with Data File.

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Fri Mar 16 14:45:43 EDT 2012

This is an issue where some customer profiling would be truly helpful.
Given the nature of GnuCash, I have to wonder what percentage of
installations actually has more than one user with distinct preferences. In
this respect, GnuCash is much more similar to Quicken than to Quickbooks
(only the latter of which provides for multiple users.)  My guess would be
that - so long as GnuCash is a single-user app (and I doubt very seriously
it will ever be otherwise short of redevelopment from the ground up) there
isn't a significant warrant for per-user preferences.  The notion that the
existing GnuCash code base and data model can evolve to a multi-user
offering strikes me as -- well, er -- wildly unrealistic.  If per-user
preferences are a desirement of only .005% of the installed base, hey! --
the feature ain't worth the effort.