Check printing in windows?

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Mon Mar 19 11:04:17 EDT 2012

We are touching on a much more fundamental problem here: the lack of defect
triage based on actual usage and criticality.  Indeed, this mail list seems
to be the only thing providing much in the way of a feedback mechanism, but
the feedback doesn't always seem to register.  I think I am paraphrasing
Gerald Weinberg from a book years ago: "In the absence of a feedback loop,
nothing prevents us from inventing our own reality."  That is
word-to-the-wise it would be well for the GnuCash  developers to ponder.

I brought up the check printing issue because I think it highlights
GnuCash's Achilles heel: the development culture.   Development proceeds
with little sense of who the 'customer' is, what the usage profile might be,
and the unrealistic notion that it's up to users to invent workarounds for
problems or pitch in on the development effort.   GnuCash faces competition
in the cloud (services like Wave Acounting, FreshBooks and the like) and
there is not a chance in the world it will survive that competition if its
developers indulge more in imaginative navel-gazing about features and the
evolution of the code base than in serving the customer base.  As I read
here the explanations for why the printing defect goes unaddressed, I feel
more than a little glum about the accounting software choice I made a couple
of years back.