Associating Saved Reports and Preferences with Data File.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 22 11:25:25 EDT 2012

David,

"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Derek--
>
> I did see your note about that and I didn't intend to suggest that you felt
> differently.
>
> I was somewhat concerned that the focus of the thread was turning only to the
> preferences side of things, and the issue of saved reports would get swept in
> with it. John was saying that the use case was rare, in direct discussion of
> preferences; I didn't want the reports part of this to get lumped in with
> that. It may be that per user-per file preferences are overkill, but I really
> see the reports part as pretty basic and fundamentally separate from the
> preferences.

I (personally) had left reports because I agreed with you so I didn't
think it needed to continue.

> You mention the difficulty of setting up the reports to be associated with a
> particular data file. Can you explain in a little more detail what those
> difficulties are?

Well, the #1 question is storage location.  Where do you store the
saved reports?  I cannot think of a good place offhand in a way that
makes them travel with the data file.