Profit and Loss Statement for Closed Books

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Thu Mar 22 17:29:00 EDT 2012

> Fortunately the P&L has an option to include/exclude the "Closing
> Entry"; so that you don't need to worry having a day that's between
> years.

Hmmmm.  It does?  That's useful!

Using Gnucash 2.4.6 (the latest version for PortableApps, which is a *much* simpler and more rational installation than the official Windows release!) there is an options tab "Entries", for which the somewhat inscrutable options are:

        Closing Entries Pattern  <enter pattern>
        <checkbox> Closing Entries pattern is case-sensitive
        <checkbox> Closing Entries pattern is regular expression

The "Help" button produces the even less helpful message "Set the report options you want using this dialogue".

I guess that may or may not do what you say - but I can't think anyone could ever divine its purpose to be as you describe without reading a manual, or guess how one might use it to achieve the desired effect!

In any case, the P&L report was changed several releases ago and no longer serves my particular purpose, so I am obliged to rely on personalised reports based on a much earlier version.

Colin