Associating Saved Reports and Preferences with Data File.

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Fri Mar 23 02:56:14 EDT 2012

On 3/22/2012 5:28 PM, David T. wrote:
> Derek--
>

> ________________________________
>  From: Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
> To: David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>

the datafile. That, of course, would be problematic from the
backward-compatibility perspective, not to mention creating appropriate
structures in the file formats (one in XML and one in the SQL files) to hold
them.

> A second idea would be to keep the reports file in the same folder as the
data file, and name it according to the data file to which it applies. Thus,
if I have a data file MyAccountData.gnucash, there would be a corresponding
MyAccountData.reports file in the same folder. While it doesn't guarantee
that the reports would go with the data, at least they're together in one
folder, and the user has a better chance of seeing it.

> This would probably work better still if there were a setting to put
backup files in a separate folder. That would result in the data folder
containing only a couple of files that clearly relate to one another.

> David

I haven't messed with reports, but if keeping the files relevant to an
account in the same place were part of a solution, I would think the
compression option could then bundle them together.  Of course that would
mean each backup contained a copy of the extra files, reducing the benefit
of the compression, but it would allow users to take one file and have
everything.  Perhaps default reports could be stored with GnuCash instead of
in user data while custom ones could be added to the profile where they are
stored now or imported to a specific chart of accounts (gnucash file), where
they would be stored with the data file (as a single copy without
compression and/or in each compressed copy)?