Nesting accounts in top level `Expenses'

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Mar 23 10:37:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, March 23, 2012 10:30 am, Harry Putnam wrote:
> New User ALERT!
>
> In the `Account Name' column of gnucash 2.4.9, is it possible to nest
> the existing or newly created accounts there.

Yes

> I started up using the default and so have a ready made list of
> accounts.
>
> Now about nesting existing accounts: Drag and drop appears to be out,
> but is it possible to; For example: move the existing `Computer' sub
> account which is under the existing `Expenses' account , into the
> existing `Education' sub account which is also under Expenses?

Yes, you can do this.

> That is, with the Expenses account opened to reveal sub accounts can I
> put the existing `Books' account into the existing `Education'
> account, so that it appears under `Education'.

Yes, you can nest Income & Expense accounts together, Asset & Liability
accounts together, and Equity accounts are on their own.  (I.e., you
cannot put an Income account under Assets, or a Liability under Equity).

> I realize I can create my own sub accounts in that way by first
> selecting the desired parent, then right click and select new
> account.
>
> Here I'm asking if the existing accounts can be moved around like
> that and nested one layer deeper?

Yep!

> I ask because I started out creating a set of accounts and now realize
> I'd sooner they were nested differently.  I'd like to have 3 major sub
> accounts under `Expenses' then sets of sub accounts under each of
> those.
>
> I didn't really get it until I spent a good bit of time creating a
> whole pile of accounts with their details, so would like to not have
> to do all that again.

All you need to do is edit the account and then reset the parent from the
selection in the Edit-Account window.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745