Testing reports

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Mar 23 19:48:39 EDT 2012

On Mar 23, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Yawar Amin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> You're welcome to get your elbows dirty and help out, but complaining
>> here isn't doing anyone any good.
>>

> Actually, I would disagree with this to an extent--bringing up the issue
> here has just let me and others know that GnuCash reports don't necessarily
> stay consistent between different versions of GnuCash; that there might be
> a way to fix this by requiring reports to be tested; and that we don't have
> the resources to work on it now, but we can certainly think about the
> problem and discuss how to go about solving it :-)
>
> So, what's a good test harness for a Scheme report against the GnuCash
> backend?

For what value of "good"?

There are already some rudimentary tests in the test subdirectories; they mostly just test that you can load a module. The test functions that drive the "make check" tests are in test-core and they are wrapped and accessible from guile. You could surely catch some regressions by expanding those tests.

That still won't guarantee that a new report option developed for one report will get propagated to  all of the other reports.

Regards,
John Ralls