Entering data Expence and cash

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Mar 24 19:17:30 EDT 2012

>Read the tutorial about DOUBLE ENTRY accounting. Both accounts are referenced in the entry procedure.

First read the tutorial (you have to understand the fundamentals of
double entry bookkeeping).

But then you will ask "how do I fix this?".

You entered one side of the transaction but failed to specify the other.
*That* is what the otherwise mysterious "imbalance" account is for.
Gnucash had to put the other side of the transaction somewhere. So open
that transaction again and correctly supply the other account and it
will then appear there instead of imbalance.

For those who ask "why?" (why didn't gnucash simply refuse to accept the
transaction) I will try to explain. Sometimes in the middle of entering
a transaction we realize that the proper account for the other side does
not yet exist. Rather than having to abort the transaction we are
allowed to enter it, then create the necessary account, and later
correct the transaction. Many of you might never have to do this but I
find myself having to do that quite a few times a year (organizational
books, not personal books).

Michael