Profit and Loss Statement for Closed Books

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Sun Mar 25 10:29:00 EDT 2012

> The defaults here should work, because they match the default
> closing transaction operations.

How does one activate this feature?  It clearly does not work for the original poster ...

> Oh?  In what way was it changed?

I am not familiar with all the changes, but the most noticeable one was that the options are presented differently, with the tabs being shown vertically on the LHS of the window, instead of horizontall at the top of the window.  I believe also that the layout of the output was also changed so that column breaks, should the output be imported in Excel, are inconsistent and unreliable - this is a criticism that I made at the time of both this and other reports some time ago.  I believe I also submitted an entry to Bugzilla.

> And how does it no longer serve your purpose?

Before the changes, the report could be configured to include accounts from any of the major headings - Asset, Equity, Income and Expenditure.  After the changes, although the user is still permited to select Asset and Equity accounts, the selection is silently ignored, and the report generated includes only Revenues and Expenses sections.  Of course, it can be argued that as a P&L report this is correct, but in that case it is my view that the selection of irrelevant accounts should not be permitted.  In any case, my requirement is for a report including an Assets section, which is why the current P&L report does not work for me.

Colin