Profit and Loss Statement for Closed Books

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Sun Mar 25 18:45:00 EDT 2012

> I think this is a misunderstanding?

I don't think so.  So far as I remember, a few releases and a couple of years ago, there was a report that provided all the info I needed in one go.  I developed a spreadsheet into which I could paste that report, and extract from it the info I needed in the format that I needed it to pass on to my various stakeholders.   At some point the report was changed so it no longer did what I needed.  I therefore continue to use the old version, which does.  That is not a disaster for me.  :-)  Of course, I *could* change to using the later reports, but as that would involve making serious changes to what is already a hideously complex excel spreadsheet simply in order to get back to the current situation, I can't justify the time I would need to spend doing it.

> If what you are saying is why doesn't gnucash provide the
> capability of producing a combined report (two reports) from one
> command perhaps you should look at this request another way. Just
> how many combinations are you asking the developers to support?
> While P & L + Balance Sheet might be a popular choice I can think
> of lots of others like:

No, I'm not saying that at all - I have, after all, agreed that asset info is not really appropriate on a P&L report.  I do, however, question the making of sudden and unannounced changes, especially changes that remove previous longstanding functionality, and especially where we are left with a program that permits the user to set options that the program will silently not honour.

I think perhaps rather more is being made of my almost throw-away remark (that the report now no longer suits me) than I intended.  If I conveyed the wrong impression then I apologise.

Colin