Profit and Loss Statement for Closed Books

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Mar 26 13:36:22 EDT 2012

John Layman wrote:

>I think it would be well for the development team to reflect on a few
>rhetorical questions.
>
>What is the real purpose of this development undertaking?
>
>Is there no conceptual 'customer' (other than the development cadre itself)
>that guides the course of development?

There is (or should be) a conceptual customer

>If the real value of GnuCash is use-value, what importance attaches to
>feedback from its users (both positive and negative)?
>
>Is it realistic to suppose that all users of the software will have the time
>or ability to participate in supporting the effort in some way?

OK --- let me express a strong opinion here based upon decades in the
cypher mines. There is a problem because of the lack of USEFUL user
participation. Unless there is clear input from users AND commitment to
the testing process ........
1) A program is "correct" if it doesn't hang or loop. Unless there is a
definition of what it is SUPPOSED to do then whatever it does is correct
(with the exceptions noted).
2) It is up to users to be helpful here. I am going to point out that
the reason I am not actively designing and coding for this sort of
project is that there is little to no user participation filling the
development roles that are up to users .About 20% of the effort (in the
"real world") is USER time coming up with specifications, the user test
plan, and users committed to do that.

MOST complaints I have seen are not useful. If all the complaining user
is willing to do is report "it doesn't work" (which may or may not be
true) but not commit to working with a developer to get to the bottom of
whether there really is a problem and then the work of fixing it (the
user to determine IF has been fixed) then this is not useful and
probably why being ignored. It is certainly why I (a potential
developer) am ignoring the situation. I also wear a user hat but I am
NOT encountering the same sort of problems. Gnucash does accounting for
me just fine, thank you.

Developing software is NOT just for us analysts/programmers.

Michael D Novack, FLMI