Testing reports

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Mar 26 15:03:30 EDT 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 11:22 AM, John Layman wrote:

> Sorry about the URL getting chopped somewhere along the line.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/brmtglc

Thanks for the paper. It came through on my (Mac) mailer just fine the first time.

Googling on "html testing oracle-comparator" finds a bunch more papers, mostly involving Dc. Sprenkle (the lead author of the one you provided), but no code. So while it's an interesting approach, the need to implement the test harness from scratch means that we wouldn't be able to put it to use anytime soon.

However, that jogged my memory about a thread on gtk-devel-list
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2011-May/msg00003.html

The first message includes a link to
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2008/12/reftests.html
which explains the basic idea.

As he says in the initial email, Benjamin Otte has implemented reftests for parts of Gtk, which provides sample code. (He did this in Gtk3, which Gnucash doesn't yet use, so we can't just link to his code.)

Regards,
John Ralls