Testing reports

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 23:27:00 EDT 2012

Hi John,

On 2012-03-23, at 19:48, John Ralls wrote:

>> […]
>>
>> So, what's a good test harness for a Scheme report against the GnuCash
>> backend?
>
> For what value of "good"?

‘Good’ meaning something that ensures the contents of a report stay consistent between different versions. For example, the original problem on this thread was that the Profit & Loss report wasn’t showing correct figures after the book was closed. So that was a regression. A test for this report might be able to ensure that its results are the same before and after book closing, no matter what date the closing was done on.

If I understand unit testing, that should be able to cover cases like these?

Btw, I wasn’t actually talking about the output’s HTML rendering. Obviously, we’re rendering as a web page; we don’t really expect the result to be pixel-perfect.

Regards,

Yawar