Testing reports

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Mar 27 12:22:15 EDT 2012

On Mar 27, 2012, at 1:39 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 26 March 2012 23:14, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

>>> Ruby on Rails has various tools that allow automated testing of html
>>> output (designed for testing web apps), but I don't know that much
>>> about them or how they could be used with gnucash.  It would need a
>>> working Ruby environment I believe with the appropriate Ruby Gems
>>> installed and so may not be appropriate.
>>
>> Got a more complete pointer? A particular Gem, maybe? What I found [1][2] don't appear to do post-render checks. Most of the search results focussed on testing the Ruby rather than the HTML. That said, validating the HTML for well-formedness would be a pretty good start. There are C, Perl, and Python tools for doing that. A Ruby tool would be OK, too -- I made the Git tools that we use for synching with the Subversion repository by translating a Ruby Gem and then elaborating it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
>> [1] http://guides.rubyonrails.org/testing.html
>> [2] http://strugglingwithruby.blogspot.com/2010/04/testing-for-valid-html.html
>
> Section 4.6 Testing Views in the rails guide, [1 above] gives a brief
> overview of how to check html elements.  Also there is rspec that is
> considered by many the best route at the moment (for use with Rails of
> course).  See [3] for a quick rundown.
>
> [3] http://www.arailsdemo.com/posts/37

Ah. I learn from that link that Rspec is Ruby's implementation of "Behavior Driven Development" [1]. Since Gnucash is a "legacy"* project, it's a bit late -- or early -- to embrace that paradigm., but we can still apply the testing strategy.

 It doesn't appear to me that Rspec would work very well testing non-Ruby programs, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. But that might be unnecessary if we can find tools which are a better fit. For example, I quickly found cspec [2] (unfortunately not seriously maintained) and lettuce [3] for C and Python, respectively. Nothing directly for Scheme, but [4] points to some (Emacs) Lisp frameworks which could probably be adapted without too much work. Christian might find "c plus plus Behavior Driven Development tools" [5] interesting. I don't know that any of these tools have the direct support for html testing the Rspec does (I'd guess that they don't), but HTMLDiff [6], a Python program, might be helpful either as-is or as a guide for writing something in Scheme.

Regards,
John Ralls

* By "legacy", I take the meaning from Feathers, "Working Effectively with Legacy Code" [7]: Code developed without unit testing. Gnucash could be considered legacy in some other meanings, too, in that the original developers are no longer involved or that it isn't completely object-oriented (and even the parts that are aren't necessarily well designed). I highly recommend the book, by the way.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior_Driven_Development
[2] https://github.com/arnaudbrejeon/cspec
[3] http://lettuce.it/
[4] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UnitTesting#toc5