Selling stock

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Thu Mar 29 02:40:19 EDT 2012

On 03/28/2012 08:25 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2012, at 6:54 PM, David T. wrote:
>
>> Stuart--
>>
>> I feel your pain. I've banged my head against this one a number of different times.
>>
>> The documentation in this section was changed not that long ago to deal with the problem you observe. If you look at the latest version of the documentation for this page (available at: http://code.gnucash.org/docs/guide/invest-sell1.html), you will see the new note that explains that the zero-share line can only be properly created by using the Tab key to exit the split. Any other method of leaving the split causes the split to be modified in the way you describe.
>>
>> See if Tabbing off the split solves your problem.
>
> I'll add that I always leave the price and number of shares columns blank in the realized gain/loss split rather than setting them to zero. That might just be "magic" behavior -- meaning that it worked once, so I always do it.

I'm unable to leave those fields anything but blank; when I
leave them by whatever method I've tried, the "0" disappears.
But as you say, that does not seem to affect the result as long
as the split is left via a tab.

As I mentioned in my response to David T, I still see two copies
of the transaction in the register.

Is this expected?