price quote update cron job failing

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Sat Mar 31 15:22:41 EDT 2012

On 03/31/2012 10:54 AM, tjoen wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-03-31 at 08:35 -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> As described in the Gnucash documentations, I have
>> recently set up a personal (runs under my userid,
>> not root) crontab entry to automatically update my
>> stock prices:
>>
>>   0 2 * * 6 gnucash --add-price-quotes postgres://stuart@localhost/gnucash
>>
>> However, when it ran last night, I got this email
>> back:
>>
>>   GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most
>>   common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus
>>   daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information.
>>   (Details -  1: Not running within active session)
>>   Found Finance::Quote version 1.17
>
> Try:
> dbus-launch gnucash --add-p.....

Thanks, that works.  Also, I found (and should have looked
more thoroughly before posting):

  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_quote

which gives this:

  env `dbus-launch` sh -c 'trap "kill $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID" EXIT; gnucash --add-price-quotes /path/to/file.gnucash'

which also works (and I presume shuts down dbus afterwards?)