Associate a deposit with a customer?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue May 1 11:58:26 EDT 2012

On Tue 1 May 12 08:25:50 Keith Fetterman wrote:
> Is there a way to associate a check deposit to a customer in Gnucash?  I
> received several checks from the members of our non-profit.  I have the
> members in Gnucash as customers.  I'd like to associate their checks
> (deposits) with their customer records, but I don't want to create an
> invoice and a payment for each check.  I talked with my controller at my
> company about how she handles deposits that the company receives that are
> not associated with an invoice.  She can do one of two things. 1) create a
> customer deposit, which can be associated with a future invoice, or 2)
> create a deposit, which has a field to identify the customer that sent the
> check.
>
> I looked at our accounting system at the office and it has the same
> functionality for writing checks.  You can associate a vendor with a check
> that the company is sending to a vendor.  It saves the steps of creating a
> bill and a payment.
>
> Please let me know because it will save a lot of time if I don't have to
> create invoices and payments for each check.

Hi Keith.

I think that it is possible for a customer to make a payment before an invoice
is created in GC.  (I remember some "auto-payments-forward" or similar a few
years ago when I got my A/R in a bit of a mess....)

Just try doing a "process payment" for the customer, event though there isn't
an outstanding invoice.  Worst case, you'll just have to delete the
transaction from the bank account!

HTH,
Maf.