troubleshooting finance:quote

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Fri May 4 21:21:53 EDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 5:54 PM, Mark Smith wrote:

> I am using gnucash with finance:quote and haven't been able to update my
> currencies for quite some time now online. All I get is an error about
> not being able to retrieve the quotes.
>
> What do I have to do in order to see exactly what the error is to
> troubleshoot this? How do I know which commands gnucash is calling so I
> can manually try to figure out what is wrong?
>
> Thanks for helping me find a way to figure out what is wrong!

Sheesh. This is turning into a FAQ. Guess it's time to write one up.

The problem isn't in Gnucash, it's in Finance::Quote, and caused by Yahoo! changing their API for currencies in January. It's fixed in their Github repo [1], but they haven't done a release on CPAN in a couple of years, so it takes some pretty good understanding of Perl to install it.

Regards,
John Ralls
[1] https://github.com/pfenwick/finance-quote