Recording Sales with Tax

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 10 08:30:21 EDT 2012

Nick Amis <nick.j.amis at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems understanding how to record sales with tax in GnuCash.
> I run a cash business taking cash fees paid by members on a daily basis. An
> element of the class fee and product sales contain tax. It is not
> appropriate to use the Invoice feature and there doesn't appear to be a way
> for the system to automatically split the sale between net revenue and tax.
> Can anyone help?

You need to manually split off the sales tax.  You are correct that
there is no way to get GnuCash to do it for you automagically.  You can
get GnuCash to calculate the amount for you.  For example, if the total
is $1234.56 and you have a 5% tax rate you can input into gnucash:
1234.56*.05 and it will compute the result in real-time.