Finance::Quote does not install

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun May 13 18:09:57 EDT 2012

On May 13, 2012, at 10:01 AM, Deane Yamane wrote:

> Using GnuCash v2.4.10 on Mac OSX Lion. I've tried everything. Help

Including following the instructions in the README file in the Gnucash distribution dmg?

You need to be logged in with an administrator account, just as you must when installing a new program. (That's the way Apple sets up the first account by default, so it's probably not an issue.)

Since Lion doesn't have a distribution DVD, you have to get XCode from the App Store. It's free. Once it's installed, you have to run it, open XCode->Preferences, go to the downloads tab, and check the box next to Command Line Tools. Once *that's* installed, you can close XCode and double-click the "FinanceQuote Update" app in the Gnucash distribution dmg.

That will open an instance of Terminal, into which you must type your password to authenticate for sudo access. It will run a long script that will ask you a bunch of questions, to which you can just accept the defaults. When the script is done you can quit Terminal and if all went well, Finance::Quote will be installed.

The instructions in the README are both a bit sketchy and not up-to-date for Lion. I'll fix that on the wiki [1] and it will go into the next release's README.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/2.4.10/Readme