ofx transaction description problem

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 14 00:17:53 EDT 2012

On 5/13/2012 10:39 PM, William S Markley wrote:
> I have been using gnucash and downloading transactions from my bank
> with OFX.  Recently, the descriptions have been mixed up.
>
> For example, the description of a purchase at Stater Bros (grocery
> store)  is now imported as "2 PURCHASE #651913 PALM SPRINGS CA;
> STATERBROS126 05-11 CUSTOMER 927" instead of "STATERBROS126 05-11
> CUSTOMER 9272 PURCHASE #651913 PALM SPRINGS CA; " as it was previously.
>
> This just started since I upgraded to gnucash version 2.4.10.
>
> Any ideas?

It probably is your bank's download service that has changed.  One of
the banks that I use seems to change the format of certain transaction's
descriptions from time to time.  Also, the format will be somewhat
different for debit transactions vs credit transactions on the same card
because they are processed differently.  It appears that some characters
are truncated off the end of the description in your case.  I see that
in some of my ofx downloads too, but for me it seems to vary depending
on the source institution.

David C