Owner drawings to equity

Supercoley corkincues at ntlworld.com
Tue May 15 20:52:08 EDT 2012

Hello.  I recently started a UK business (Sole Proprietor) and after dabbling
with a few different software packages have settled on Gnucash.  It seems
much more user friendly than others.

I have set up most of the accounts I need to but have a couple of little
questions.  Not urgent per se but some niggling doubts.

One that is easy to answer and maybe some could give me a preference here.
All my transactions go through paypal.  Should I record the transactions in
full then have an expense account for Paypal fees or should I just deduct
the paypal fee from the amount I enter into Sales?

Next a little more technical - I was buying items for the business from my
personal bank account prior to setting the business up.  I assume I account
for these by way of the owner loaning money to the business.  Should I set
this up as a loan in liabilities?  This is not cash in the business, it has
already been spent and therefore would be an expense or Asset already (Some
was spent on equipment and some on bits and bobs)

Secondly and I have nearly a year to work this out :)  I have never had to
do any kind of book-keeping or accounts involving drawings before.  I am
struggling to grasp what happens at the end of year really.  I know al
profit becomes taxable at the end of the year which is fine.  So at year end
do I just calculate tax and put the relevant entries in tax and NI within
expenses?

Then all that is left becomes drawings.  This goes to Owner drawings I
assume?

If for example (theory to make it easy for me to understand) I made profit
of £30k, paid tax on that and final profit was £25k.  Then I withdrew the
whole £25k as drawings what entries would I make?  I am geting confused as I
assume this £25k must leave the business rather than be equity?  All
research I have made seems to suggest that it remains as Owner Capital and I
can see lots of people get confused by this part however I can't find any
clear answers in replies to the 'confused' Op in these sort of threads.