Top level account without any type (or file links)

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed May 16 12:04:09 EDT 2012

On 16-05-12 17:35, Colin Scott wrote:
>> In fact, what you really want is:
>>
>> A separate set of books for each partnership.
> The real downside of this is that (unless something has changed recently) it isn't possible to keep more than one set of books open at the same time.  If you are the book-keeper for multiple sets of accounts, moving from one set of books to the next is slow and horribly clunky.
> As Treasurer of my Rotary Club I am required to keep two sets of accounts - those relating to the management of the Club itself, and those relating to the Club's charitable activities.  These sets of books are essentially separate, but there are linkages, in that there are fairly frequent transfers of funds from the Club books to the Charity books
>
> Arranging this as two completely separate sets of books is, frankly, a nightmare, for the reasons given above.  I have therefore had to set up Club and Charity branches under each of the four top-level accounts, and then when reporting enusre that I only use accounts from the relevant branches.
>
> Were the top level account always of type "Books", and accounts of types Assets, Equity, Income, Expenditure etc always required to have a Books parent, then I could arrange things simply.  The top level of the hierarchy would be Rotary Books, under which I would have Club and Charity Books, and then the conventional structure underneath each of those.  In this configuration, a) my books would be *far* easier to manage than they are now, and b) I would be able to switch between the two sets of books without having to close one file and open another, and c) I would be able to create transactions legitimately spanning the two sets of books.
>
> Note:  I understand that implementation of such a scheme would be non-trivial, as it would undoubtedly involve some fairly fundamental changes to the way data is managed.  I therefore would not expect such a change to occur any time soon, or even at all.  Perhaps a simpler and neater solution to this recurring question would be for gnucash to be able to run multiple simultaneous instances, each instance working on a separate set of books.  This would make switching from one set of books to another instantaneous, whilst honouring all the other  valid constraints that we are told need to be maintained.
>
> In any case, it seems to me that this whole question, the way it keeps recurring, and the way it is always answered, is quite a good example of the way that gnucash developers often see things from their own perhaps slightly blinkered viewpoint (which is fine, so far as it goes!) but fail to see that many gnucash users have different and conflicting, but nontheless valid, viewpoints.

> [...]
Actually it is possible to keep more than one set of books open at the
same time. In fact I do it all the time as I manage 3 small businesses
with GnuCash.

You can't do it via File->Open, but you can double-click on several data
files in your OS's native file manager and the books will open next to
each other.

I wasn't there when the decision was made regarding File->Open
automatically closing currently open books, but I guess the it was made
based on the most frequent use case of that time: one person usually
only manages one set of books. There were no business features then.
This is obviously not the case for me or you.

And yes, I think that it will indeed require quite some refactoring of
the code before this can be changed. GnuCash assumes in many places
there is only one book open at the time. My solution is a workaround,
which works because it opens two completely independent instances of
GnuCash. Each instances only sees one book.

Geert